Set out all items to be collected by 6:30 a.m. on your designated collection day. No items shall be placed at curbside before 7:00 p.m. the evening prior to pickup.
- Refuse must be bagged, bundled or boxed and placed at the curb.
- Appliances and tires will be picked up as they are called in. Call 348-6831 or 348-6832 by 12:00 noon the day before to notify the Refuse Collection department of the item(s). Refrigerators and freezers must be empty and the outer doors must be removed.
- Collection crews urge residents to place sharp objects, hypodermic needles and broken glass in plastic milk cartons or durable containers before placing in garbage bags.
- Collection crews will pick up dry paint cans with the lids removed. To dry paints, add kitty litter, and or dirt and allow the liquid to be absorbed before disposing of the cans.
- Place refuse/trash bags in a refuse container or spray the bags with ammonia if animals disturb the garbage.
- Black plastic bags should be used for the containment of household waste, trash, and other refuse. The clear plastic bags are for yard waste (grass, leaves, weeds, plant prunings and light brush) and recycling (cans, plastics and newspapers) if you do not have a recycling bin.
- For yard waste, place only vegetative material in the clear plastic bags. Place bagged yard waste at the curbside. Yard waste will be picked up every week on Regular garbage days.
Refuse crews will NOT collect the following:
- Garbage set out after the trucks have passed your house or neighborhood
- Bags and containers that weigh more than forty (40) pounds
- Loose dirt and debris
- Automotive fluids, wet paint or other hazardous materials
- Automotive parts and accessories
- Concrete, asphalt, and paving materials.
- Trees and yard waste cut by private contractors or trash and debris from job sites performed by contractors or owners with a building permit.
NOTE: Trash and debris from jobs not requiring a building permit and not performed by a contractor will be picked up by the City of Charleston.
Recycling occurs on each regular trash day. If you are interested in obtaining a recycling bin, please contact the Refuse department at 348-6831 or 348-6832.
Please call the refuse department to have yard waste picked up.